Communications Specialist in English, Speech and Debate / Blended Learning Instructor / Technology Integration Specialist
“You reminded me of why I decided to teach! My heart…..because I love kids & I wanted to make another child feel worthy & valued. I was going to retire after this year because of all the red tape of testing & tests scores, but you inspired me to hang on until I physically can’t anymore.”
My name is Jay Gross, and I am in my 26th year as a classroom teacher. My love of the classroom and technology has lead me on a rollercoaster ride of learning and excitement. I have a passion for sharing my successes and failures with how I have used technology to build relationships, strengthen them, and challenge my students. It is what has lead me to work for Best KeyNote.
While attending Kevin’s Launch Me academy two years ago, he asked that we come up with an ‘Elevator Speech’. What am I about when I speak in a Tweet or 15 seconds of talk? That really hit home with me. I knew the answer right away:
“In this fast-paced world of ever changing technology, like Einstein, I fear our technology will surpass our humanity. Constantly bombarded with test scores, curriculum, and evaluations, educators sometimes forget the real constant… the kids. I want to be the reminder.”
Speaker Menu Items
Door Handles & Eyes… Continue to Bring the Passion
In a world of test scores, content standards & benchmarks, and evaluation fears, sometimes the main purpose can be pushed aside, even forgotten. That is the kids. Plain and simple they are the heart of what we do. Let me be the reminder…
Connecting to Today’s Students
Fear is NOT the way to live. So much can be accomplished through FaceBook, Twitter, and Texting. How can you make a positive impact on students’ lives (and even parents for that matter!) through a positive, mature use of technology? It’s easy!
Engagement and Personalized Learning – Don’t Forget the Kids
This world of educational technology we are living in is moving faster than ever imagined. So much to learn and use and share! During these times it can be easy to lose sight of the central reason for all of it… the students. The best technology in the world is useless if we are not communicating with today’s kids and their parents, and relating to them. Listen as veteran educator Jay Gross shares some of his successes (and even some failures) in engaging students with technology. He will touch your heart, give you some fresh ideas, and get you thinking of “outside of the box” ways to relate to today’s students.
Taking Blended Learning to the Next Level!
Setting up our classes has never been easier with all of the advances in learning management systems and Google! Why not take a chance? Step into the world of Blended Learning with me and let’s find a way to save both you and your students time!
Block the Block!
There are so many ways to communicate, gather information, and connect in today’s electronic world! Blocking it only sets our students behind. Let’s open our minds and the Internet and prepare our students to be ahead of the curve and to attack the world post high school!
Harnessing Social Media
FaceBook a waste of time? Twitter is too confusing? Texting my students is out of the question? Give me a chance and an open mind and I bet I can make you think twice about those negative thoughts! Let’s make it work for you!
Portfolio: It’s NOT a Dirty Word!
Our students deserve the best! Showcasing their four years of high school and knowing how to promote themselves in today’s job market or getting the best scholarships is crucial. How about just learning to organize and present themselves in the best, most positive way? Our online Portfolios and their structure are proven winners. Let me help you help them!
This session will be centering on and combining the very best of Moodle and Google to create a Blended Learning environment that has been developed with student, parent, and teacher input. It will also include different aspects of cloud-based tools to create a student centered learning environment with the teacher acting as a guide. Stop by and get exposed to such tools as Moodle Lessons, Adaptive Release Tasks, Video and Audio, Badges, My Access (Essay Writing), Shmoop (ACT Prep), and more! I am a current classroom teacher using these in my classroom with direct student /parent input.
What Others Are Saying
Jay’s enthusiasm for Educational Technology is contagious! He is so willing to help whether you are a novice or an expert. His willingness to give out his phone number and support at any time is genuine. It was a great training that made me leave wanting more!
Jay opened my eyes to his particular blended learning model and gave helpful insight into the abundant free sources available for our students to take advantage of.
Seeing how he actually uses something in a classroom – it’s helpful to hear from a teacher…not just a consultant.
Jay… Always learn so much! Brain is overflowing, but so worth it! Thank you!!
Hi Jay ~I just wanted to tell you what a great session that was last night! I learned more about gmail and some insight into your PowerSchool. Thanks again I thought is was super helpful and I will be at the next one.
Jay… I liked best that now I know how to navigate Moodle and how to build a lesson, quiz. I also like the time spent to explore and be hands on!!!!!
Great suggestions for implementing technology into the classroom and/or school.
Would be nice to have Jay Gross come up for a full day in the summer PD.
Jay gave us access to his website where he has at least 50 tech app/sites/resources to use–AWESOME!
The vast amount of information Jay gave us. I appreciated the website with all the links he talked about so I can access it later.
I would be interested in another session where we would have access to practice using the technology he presented about.
Bring Jay back…he rocked!
Wow! Blown my mind!
Jay Gross covered so much ground. Great ideas. I would have like a little clearer picture of what his day to day classroom looked like.
I like how Jay explained the technology, tied it into his classroom and how he used it, answered our questions, and then gave us time to work on it with him right there.
I loved the guide through Google and exploring all of the things (and free things) that are available to educators.
Jay shared many aps and websites to utilize in the classroom and for organization purposes.
- Learning on The Lakeshore, Muskegon Community College, Michigan: Keynote Speaker & Presenter
- Michigan New Teacher Conference: Keynote Speaker
- Saginaw RESD: Keynote Speaker & MooGooling! Sessions
- Newberry, Michigan, Keynote Speaker & MooGooling! Sessions
- McAlester, Oklahoma, Technology & Learning Conference: Keynote Speaker & MooGooling! Sessions
- Michigan Moodle Moot 2015
- Michigan Transition Services Association Keynote Speaker
- Michigan Career Placement Association Keynote Speaker: “Social Networking: Connecting to Business”
- Morley Stanwood 1st Annual T.A.L.K. Conference Keynote Speaker
- BLiC Instructor for Blended Learning in the Classroom Project Statewide
- Michigan Transition Services Association Session Presenter
- Boyne City Area Wide Professional Development Day Presenter
- Best of MACUL Presenter for MooGooling!
- Moodle Bootcamp Presenter / Trainer
- Moodle Basics & Beyond Presenter
- MACUL Presenter for MooGooling, Shmoop, Blended Learning, ePortfolios, & Tech Tips for Teachers
- Michigan Rotary Club, Motivational Keynotes
- Keynote Speaker, Alma College Leadership Academy
- Session Leader, Alma College Leadership Academy
- Blackboard Instructor, St. John’s RESD
- Technology Presenter, Boyne City High School
- Featured Speaker, State Superintendent’s Conference
- Guest Presenter, Administrator Information Network: High School Principals
- Guest Presenter, REMC Directors of Michigan Conference
- Presenter, “Fulfilling Michigan Merit Curriculum Online Learning Requirement.” Michigan State University
- Guest Speaker, Educators from England, Central Michigan University
- Guest Speaker, Blackboard Day, Clare / Gladwin RESD
- Featured Presenter, Gratiot and Isabella County Professional Development Day
- Workshop Instructor, Summer Technology Camp
- Presenter, Cool Tools Workshop, Gratiot Isabella RESD
- Presenter, Mt. Pleasant High School Faculty